torstai 27. lokakuuta 2011

Gibraltar

One has to cross an airfield in order to enter Gibraltar

Gibraltar is British overseas area in the south end of Spain. To me it came as a surprise that the peninsula was dominated with a huge rock filled with caves and monkeys! I spent the last five days here with Shawn and John from Britain Felix from Germany and their other guests Mick and Jo from Australia.

We had a day trip to the mountain which due circumstances did not include monkeys nor the top where you can see to Morocco. Next time I will visit Gibraltar I will conquer the rock.

During my stay I have already multiplied my hatred towards mosquito. These dark overlords have been eating my hands during the nights. Their proboscis leaves a sore far more itchy than their finnish counterparts. For that they shall feel my revenge. I must remember to acknowledge when I reach the malaria area.

Felix, Shawn and John (Mick is hidden behind Felix)

The tunnels were used during wars

This is me at mt. Everest

Returning to Spanish side (La Linea)

Some poker and whiskey during the powerout (John kept our money)

It took me two days to slouch trough the harbor area to find a boat ride to Canary Islands. Young Australian Couple had bought Ganga (Bavaria 43) from Spain and were sailing it to their homeland. The atmosphere on the boat could not be higher as Ben had asked yesterday Bridget to be his wife (congratulations will be forwarded from comments). I did not expect to be the oldest person on a boat for my first offshore sailing but the boat is well equipped and they seem to have good grip with the boat so I feel confident we will be having a really nice trip.

Navetta means barn for cows in finnish

Name Ganga has many meanings

Fist the size of my arm

When I started travelling I never thought that the hardest part would be constantly saying goodbyes to nice people I just got to know. I had great fun staying with S,J,F,M and Jo and it would have been nice to stay longer to fulfill my dream of playing ice-hockey in local hall. Things do not always go as planned and the boat to canaries was what I originally came her for so I am happy things worked out so easily.

I sadly will say goodbyes to my long time served Finnish army boots. This is sad moment for me since it will be hard to find shoes that can cover my loss. But foremostly this is sad moment for my dear hosts who yet do not know about my intentions of leaving my boots in the flat.

One seldom encounters such a fine pair of boots

Laces are cut, bottom is spilntered and heel is partly missing

3 kommenttia:

  1. Congrats to the couple & safe sailing!

    VastaaPoista
  2. Ahoy!
    All the happiness to the engaged pair. May you sail in harmony!!
    Olli jos sattuisi kohdalle kivoja jollia, niin arvostaisin kuvia... tiedät kyllä millaisia.

    Kiitos ja kuulemiin.

    VastaaPoista
  3. Ai Suomen virallisillakin on käyttöikänsä, vaikka niitä käyttäisi joka päivä. Safe sailing and Onnea kihlautuneille! -RK

    VastaaPoista